Marijuana Business Licensing and Regulations
Ballot questions 2A and 2B passed regarding marijuana taxes and businesses. View election results here.
This page is the official source for information regarding marijuana business licensing and will be updated as new information becomes available. Interested persons will be directed to this page to receive updates.
Upcoming Public Meetings/Hearings
Over the coming weeks and months, staff will be working with the City’s appointed and elected officials to develop the next steps regarding marijuana licensing and permitting of marijuana-related businesses. Any consideration for the adoption of local regulations will be heard at a public hearing(s). Upon scheduling, meeting dates will be listed below:
- City Council Workshop - May 3, 5:30 p.m. City Hall Auditorium 250 N. 5th Street
Marijuana Business Licensing
Marijuana businesses (except for testing facilities) remain prohibited land-uses under the City’s Zoning and Development Code.
No licenses or license applications have been made available to potential marijuana business owners by the passage of this legislation. Further action by City Council would be required to license marijuana businesses. The official State web portal for marijuana regulations in Colorado can be accessed here.
Use of Marijuana Funds
The passage of 2A and 2B constitutes a new funding source to support enforcement and implementation related to the new marijuana-related businesses that will be coming to the community. Revenue from retail marijuana is also dedicated to build, operate and maintain the highest priorities in the Parks, Recreation, and Open Space (PROS) Master Plan, which was adopted by City Council on January 6, 2021. A summary of the plan, as well as the full plan, is found at http://www.gjparksandrec.org.
- Can marijuana businesses now begin operating in Grand Junction?
- Who will permit marijuana businesses?
- What kinds of marijuana businesses may come to Grand Junction?
- Where can I find information about State laws related to marijuana?
- What other rules about marijuana are changed by these ballot questions?
- What is the timeline for the City Council to consider marijuana business licensing?
- Where will marijuana businesses be allowed to operate?
- I am a potential marijuana business owner. How can I apply for a license to operate in Grand Junction?
- Can I improve my chances of securing a license for my marijuana business by working with the City before licenses applications are opened?
- How can I share my perspectives with City Council regarding how marijuana businesses should be regulated in Grand Junction?
- Where can I find information about marijuana and public health?
- Do measures 2A and 2B allow the City to regulate medical marijuana businesses or retail (recreational) marijuana businesses?
- Do measures 2A and 2B affect the operations of hemp businesses and CBD businesses?
- I previously operated or owned a medical marijuana business in the City of Grand Junction. Will new licenses be granted to former operators first?